Whitefox’s Integrated Cartridge Efficiency (ICE) uses membrane-based cartridge technology that enables clients to produce ethanol to the highest market standards in the most energy- and water-efficient way.
With a small footprint, Whitefox’s scalable systems can be adapted to a variety of processes and organic solvent applications such as ethanol, butanol or methanol. ICE® can be integrated into existing production plants as well as new builds.
Molecular Sieve Dehydration is a Pressure Swing Adsorption (PSA) technology commonly used in ethanol production.
Operation is cyclical with a variety of recycle streams, creating bottlenecks in Distillation, Dehydration & Evaporation (DD&E).
The conventional molecular sieve dehydration method is energy intensive as 184 – 190 Proof is required as the molecular sieve feed.
The Whitefox Solution
Whitefox ICE®-XL is a proprietary integrated solution fully replacing the existing molecular sieves, establishing continuous dehydration and reducing the energy consumption per gallon of ethanol produced, through:
- Reconfiguration of existing distillation,
- Installation of a 100% energy neutral Whitefox ICE-XL system,
- Elimination of i) 190P condensation and ii) re-vaporization steps, and
- Steam reduction in evaporation due to 25% lower water load
- Reduce steam consumption of DD&E to 8,000 BTU/gal
- Stable, continuous operation of distillation and dehydration (no pressure swings)
- Cooling water reduction
- Elimination of molecular sieve dust contamination
- Diversify to lower moisture for export
- Re-use existing infrastructure
- Emission saving - Carbon Intensity (CI) point reduction
- Reduction in operational and maintenance cost
Whitefox membrane technology provides the following benefits:
• Capacity increase up to 25%
• Diversify to lower moisture for export
• Energy saving up to 12%
• Cooling Water reduction up to 15%
• Reduction in operational and maintenance cost